Where in the world?

Thursday, July 28, 2005

So, what have I been up to?

Sorry I haven't written in ages and ages. I have been doing lots of nice things actually ; dinners, parties, trips to the beach etc etc...I just haven't had the inclination to sit down and blog!...until now! After a couple of complaints from people who will remains nameless (actually, no what the hell...Paul...Dan!!), I thought I should finally do a quick blog about my summer vacation so far.

Armed with my wonderful 'apartment leave', I have been filling my days with wandering around Yanai, going to Hikari beach, going out for lunch with friends...oh, and staying in my apartment!!!...I have been attempting to give the place a bit of a summer-clean, as well as gathering my bits and pieces together that I will take home...in 9 days!

That's right folks, in 9 days I will be heading home for my lovely summer holiday in England. I am so excited, words can't quite do justice to how much I am looking forward to seeing my family and friends. I think Im going to be spending the whole time just hugging people (friends/family...not random strangers, you understand!)...I have had a whole year now in a country that is not really...tactile...people don't really like to make physical contact. In fact, when I was out shopping the other day, this Japanese lady touched my arm, in a gesture of affection (also she was a bit weird!), and I found myself feeling quite shocked that anyone had touched me. Very strange! So people at home, be prepared with your 'Lauren' hugs!

It's been a strange couple of weeks, as people have been leaving gradually, until this week when the new people have started to arrive. On tuesday night, we said a final farewell to Aaron, with a great meal at his favourite place, Taiwanya. It was really sad to say goodbye to someone, who has been there throughout your time in Japan. I could always rely upon Aaron, to have a good banter with, and to be the voice of authority and wisdom on Japan..and in fact the world! Seriously, that guy is smart! I'll miss his sense of humour and his quirky lil gestures ("i dont know, i dont know!"). Best of luck with AJ back in the States Aaron! Kirk is leaving tomorrow, and of course, he will be missed terribly too. Kirk is one of those guys who is just a really genuine, cool guy...easy to talk to about anything, and always up for a fun night out (he is hilarious when he is drunk!). It's been great hanging out with you Kirk...thanks for your friendship, kindness and advice. You're a star, and you will be missed!

Now the newbies are starting to arrive, and I am officially a second year. That's weird! A year has gone so quickly, and yet I feel like I have lived here a lot longer than a year. When I arrived in Japan, I was not sure if I would stay longer than a year, and yet here I am starting out on my second year, looking forward to more new experiences, more new friends, and more new life lessons. To all of the newbies, arriving in Yamaguchi-ken over these 2 weeks, enjoy yourselves and embrace every new opportunity..it's gonna be a great year!

5 Comments:

  • At 7:54 am, Blogger Lauren said…

    Oh, and Dan..before you comment...you didnt really think I could do it in 4 lines, did you?

     
  • At 8:17 am, Blogger Dan said…

    Pathetic, yeah. Looks more like four paragraphs.

    Dan

     
  • At 2:50 pm, Blogger Turning Japanese said…

    Oh crap, 9 days. I had better get cleaning and packing. Won't it be wonderful. Hugs will be lovely.

     
  • At 2:51 pm, Blogger Turning Japanese said…

    Oh PS good job on getting your cute kitty pic up on your profile.

     
  • At 7:45 am, Blogger Paul Campy said…

    My lawyers have advised me to make the following statement:

    Can't wait to see you in a week's time! Look forward to experiencing and watching 'Lauren' hugs. I'll get my popcorn...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home