Where in the world?

Sunday, May 01, 2005

A great start to Golden Week

Friday was the first day of Golden Week in Japan. Golden Week is the week at the end of april which has 4 national holidays, and therefore by taking only 1 or 2 days of paid leave to link them all up, we get a 10 day break! You know how much I love the national holidays here!

So, on friday, I had a lovely leisurely day. I decided to attempt a thorough spring-clean of my apartment (2 rooms down, 3 to go!), I had my windows wide open due to the sudden heat-wave that has embraced Japan (25 on friday, 28 yesterday in Hiroshima), and I gave my neighbours a real treat by playing my i-pod tunes REALLY loudly! Well, you can't clean properly without some some loud music! In the evening I went to wonderful Sanzoku for dinner with Ellen, Dan, Rosie, and Rosie's Mum. I can't remember if I've written about Sanzoku before...but in case I haven't....Sanzoku is a really cool restaurant set in the mountains in Kuga (north of Yanai)...at night they have loads of lanterns lit, and so as you approach it, the sight of all the lights next to the dramatic mountains is really quite impressive. It's a bit of a tourist trap to be fair, has little stalls with food and toys outside, and appears to be the place where all the Marine families from Iwakuni base go at the weekend! But the food is amazing! On friday we sat outside, near the man-made waterfall, and carp pond, and enjoyed a true feast of rice, gyoza (possibly some of the best gyoza in Japan!), and Sanzoku chicken. The chicken is perfection!...a big piece of chicken on a great big stick, with a sticky heavenly sauce! I think you get the picture..I love this place! To any JETs who haven't been there yet (especially those leaving in July)...GO!

Yesterday I went to Hiroshima with the same gang, and had a really great day. Shopping (with the obligatory purchase from Muji of course!), Anderson for lunch (where I at last tried something different!), more shopping, chilling out in the Peace Park, Starbucks, and fajitas for dinner at Kembys. We even saw Alex and her family in Anderson...a small world you might think.....but no, just understandable....Anderson is THE place to lunch in Hiroshima.

So far, a great Golden Week! Today I'm off with Ellen to Saga (on Kyushu) for 3 days, and so I'm really excited. I love seeing new places, and I think we're going to have a great time. I'm especially looking forward to Hakata festival on wednesday! I'll blog when Im back!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:12 am, Blogger Selena said…

    that place in the mountains sounds fab, i will definitely try to go sometime! also we are going to the Hakata festival on wed too if you want to meet up?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home